Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Canary List Review




“The Canary List” incorporates elements of all kinds of genres.  Horror, mystery, fantasy, and religion are all intertwined in this thriller.  At first, I found the book difficult to be engaged with, but as it progressed the character development and moral questions that were raised became made the book become a more interesting read.

Is it ok to do evil things as long as the greater good will be served?  “The Canary List” reminded me vaguely of “Angels and Demons”.  I learned a little about the Catholic Church as I read, but I never felt like I was being preached to.  I did feel that the author missed a few opportunities that would have made this book go from good to great.  So many of the characters spend time focusing on their past, but their present and future is left open.  Only one character appears to be any better off than they were at the start of the book.

As a teacher, I feel comfortable placing this book within my classroom library and not receiving flack for it.  My students, I feel, will enjoy “The Canary List” and it will keep them engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment